Photo - Parlour Click photo for
a larger image

 

The whole
Christian
Education
Building
continues
to be a
lively asset
to the church's
mission and
activities.

Dr. G. M. Young Memorial Hall

In the early 1950s, as the population of the city grew, the congregation of Wilmot United Church grew also. As the downtown location of the church was becoming less residential and more commercial, discussion took place in the congregation about the possibility of building a new church elsewhere in the city.

Two committees were established in 1956: one to consider building a new church hall at the current location, and another to consider building a new church elsewhere. After a couple of years and much discussion, no decision could be reached.


 

 

Dr. G. M.
Young
had been Minister at Wilmot Church
from 1917
to 1922
and
Minister
Emeritus
from 1951
until his
death
in 1963.

 

Photo - Dr. G. M. Young Memorial Plaque Click photo for
a larger image

It was not until 1964 that a decision was reached to build a new Christian Education Building on the Carleton Street lot beside the church. Photo - Sod-turningClick photo for
a larger image
On Thanksgiving Sunday of that year, the sod-turning took place.
Photo - Spade
Completed in June, 1965 and dedicated on Sunday, June 13, 1965, the new building was designated the Dr. G. M. Young Memorial Hall. Dr. Young had been Minister at Wilmot from 1917 to 1922 and Minister Emeritus from 1951 until his death in 1963.
Photo - Gymnasium
Gymnasium set up for pot-luck supper - click photo for a larger image
 
Top of page